Spokane GC2006 Reflections

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Second Legislative Day 6/14

First, let me apologize for this update not going up until Thursday morning. I am quickly learning that there is much to occupy our time at convention!

Day 2 brought some great experiences my way. I started my morning in the World Mission legislative committee which I am a part of. It has been truely eye-opening discovering all of the ways that World Mission works for us. I'm not ready to go out as a full-time missionary by any means, but I am seeing the need for mission in our church, and know that it needs to be a priority in our own diocese. The thing that struck me deepest during our meetings is that it is not necessarialy the Episcopal church seeking out these relationships, but our foreign partners, companion dioceses, and anglican churches that are also seeking closer communion with us. I think that's important to hold onto in this post-Windsor era...other nations continue to want closer bonds with our church despite differences of opinion about the actions of the 2003 G.C.

Our Eucharist in the morning was done mostly in Spanish, including a beautiful sermon. Copies in English were distributed for those of us who are not Spanish Speaking. It was a great worship experience.

In the legislative end of things, it was a long, sometimes frustrating, day. We were able to accomplish a few things like electing Bonnie Anderson our House of Deputies President, but were stymied by technology for a major portion of our second session. As frustrating as that was, I think that it is important for us to use the technology for voting because when people do understand it, the turn around on votes will be much, much quicker.

The end of my day was spent in a PB&F meeting (Program, Budget and Finance) listing to many deputies, Bishops, and visitors plea for the budget items that they felt were important. I was overwhelmed by how many really valuable programs they were advocating for. I shared with Bishop Waggoner on our way back that I didn't know how his committee would make their decisions, and I didn't envy him at all having heard those pleas. I, myself, didn't get a chance to speak on behalf of my resolution A116:Short-term missions, due to a calling of the evening at 10. Over 120 people had signed up to speak, so it was impossible to get everyone in, although the chairwoman made sure that all issues had been heard at least once before she sent the hard-working PB&F home.

Convention continues to teach all of us new deputies much. Pray that God works through both of the Houses as we continue with this work.
Pia Longinotti

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question: with all the changes to resolutions that come out of their respective committees, does the delegation gather together to discuss the issues? How do you all work together while there? or perhaps, do you have varying schedules and not see much of each other? Just a curious how it works.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We do gather to discuss the issues, nightly as a deputation when possible, or at our tables when there is something that we aren't sure on. Each of us has the job of individually discerning on each issue with prayer and thought, and so often just trust where the spirit is moving. During our legislative sessions, we listen to those who speak for or againdt a proposal as well. Our schedules do vary but we sit together during legislative sessions, and often lunch or eat dinner together. Surprisingly we see each other for much of our time. Many of us are serving on committees so we get to better learn about the work of those committees as well. It is overwhelming at times, but I think within the debates and legislative issues, I get to see some of the best of what makes us Episcopalian...true concern for our brothers and sisters, and profound respect at the end of the day even with our differing opinions.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home